So what is a Swedish Massage? The Swedish Massage has been around for a long time. It was first created back in 1812 in the University of Stockholm by a physiologist named Henri Peter Ling. Today it is the most well known and popular type of massage therapy. Swedish massage is synonymous with massage itself because it is the most common. In Europe it is called the “Classic Massage”. When you go get a massage and do not specify a type of massage, chances are it will be the Swedish massage since it is the most taught and used by the masseuse or therapist. The Swedish massage is also considered the massage recommended for beginners. We also recommend that you go through 30 day healthy eating challenge from our colleagues.
What Is A Swedish Massage: The Basics
A typical Swedish massage usually consists of five types of moves. Below is the five moves in Swedish massage. They can be used in any order and is part of the basics of Swedish massage.
1. Effleurage – making long and gliding strokes along the body. The rubbing and pushing of the muscles helps you relax plus reduce tension and stress levels. It has many other health benefits as well such as increase circulation of blood flow to the heart. Great for the upper back, nech, and shoulders. This is the most common move use in many massages.
2. Petrissage – Simply put this technique looks like you are kneading dough. It works on your muscle tension and unwind. The kneading and squeezing motion of this technique gets rid of and smooth out any sort of lumps or impure substances from the muscle so it will be efficient once more.
3. Tapotement – This is the gentle pounding of the body like the motion you are drumming. There are many ways to form your hands for the drumming. The way you form your hand produces a different sound from slapping to chopping to cupping. This is a very noisy move and is usually used at the end of a massage session as it helps wake you up if you became sleepy.
4. Vibration – This is the rhythmic and rapid shaking of the body. Great for the neck and shoulders. Normally this is done by a therapists’ hands but there are now devices that provide the same vibration from cushions and chairs. It has a very good feeling sensation and you can fall asleep to this very easily.
5. Friction – This is worked on your muscle fibers and is done using circular or perpendicular motions.
The use of oil also helps in creating friction. It is commonly used in Swedish massage. What type of massage oil that is used depends on the masseuse. It can be as simple as plain old regular oil or they can be scented. Besides creating friction, the oil also helps in stretching of the muscles.
If you are feeling fatigued, exhausted, or feeling discomfort in the joints getting a massage can help alleviate the aches and pains. Today there are many types of massages available. From deep tissue massage to sports massage, many of these massages of which were based from the foundation of the Swedish massage. No matter which type of massage you use there are many available out there. So for the days you want some time to just relax or unwind head out for a massage or a spa. You will find many available around you and all over the country.
The Swedish massage is an excellent way to relax you muscles and get them ready operating in a faster amount of time.